Adventures Abroad

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Bemba wonderland

Well the last week has been filled with training and hanging out with the family. Bamayo (my mom in bemba) danced for me. I made amazing guacamole, and took my first test in Bemba. There has been a lot of biking and getting covered in clay mud. I am getting way more comfortable riding a mountain bike through the bush and life is nice. Tonight the training team is taking us all out the Disco Night at a disco in Kitwe and that should be great.

I really want to thank everyone for writing and being so supportive. Even though I do love it here I can't tell you how important it is to know that you all are thinking of me. Colin you are the best! It's lovely to be in the same hemisphere with you again! Stacie I miss you all and I promise I will send postcards as soon as I find a place that sells them. Zambia- not the touristiest place in the world- actually. Ryan thank you for being so supportive, I loved your lettter!

I am learning about the culinary differences between cultures based on substance living and those that can afford loftier culinary goals. Zambians never talk about what they like to eat, the most praise I've ever heard is about how much strenght a particular food gives you. They need it too. The physical labor the average Zambian does everyday would kill the average American. I went to dig a pond yesterday and couldn't help but feel like Levin in Anna Karinena when he works with the peasents for a day and thinks it's great. (I love the book Anton! Bamayo wants to read it when I am done.)

I'm thinking about learning Indonesian after I get a full hang of Bemba, btw. I probably should have done that when I was living with Indonesians, oh well.

I think I am going to get posted to a village in Central Province 100 k out of Lusaka. I am very excited about my site. It sounds really lovely. I love central province and it sounds like my site is a pretty big tomato growing village. They are already business minded and I can't imagine anything better than fish and tomatoes. Life is great. I want to hear more about what everyone is doing. Happy birthday Jenn and Erin!

Life is wonderful here and I can't wait for everyone to visit. Well I'm off to the market to get some ingredients for the Armenian dinner I am making Sunday night. I hope my family can go one meal without nshima.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger MC Master Chef said…

    Sorry to have missed your IM this evening! Your package is finally on its way, and I am willing to bet it is probably the first time anybody in Karatsu has every tried to mail anything to Zambia, so hopefully it does in fact arrive some time soonish. There's a boatload of questions about life in Zambia for you in there, along with a few other odds and ends.

    When were you living with Indonesians?

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey babe,
    I've tried to call like a million times.
    I hope that you're doing well there, and that the weather's nice. What an adventure, it must be great! Best wishes,
    Love, Ryan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home